Thursday 20 October 2011

Learning tricks, picking up tips, getting known

It's been a strange old week.

Seven days ago Colonel Gaddafi was still at large, the travellers at Dale Farm were defying the law and staying put and being made redundant was still at the forefront of my mind.

Since then things have progressed somewhat, Gaddafi is no more - allegedly - the travellers want to disperse with the "Great" from Great Britain and looking forward with a spring in my step has become the focus of my attention. It's funny how systems and circumstances can change.

I've been using the phone an awful lot this week, so much so that a certain company comprising of a letter and a number were delighted when I had to change my tarrif. But in this technological age it seems strange to me that the good old dog and bone is still the best way to communicate.

In a profession such as mine getting your name out there is the only way to get exposure.

Last weekend I was fortunate enough to be invited to a swish do at Ribby Hall in Wrea Green by the team at Huddle Media for a charity ball in aid of the Rosemere Cancer foundation. To see so many familiar faces was a joy and every one of them asking how I was getting on since the "R" word.

Whether by seeing me and knowing my expertise they can push some work my way, who knows, but the point is by getting out there you can give yourself a gentle shove in the right direction.

Picking up new talents is also going well. A week ago I had heard of Wordle but never used it, now I see it as a new acquaintance - I won't say friend, not yet anyway.

The new talents are adding strings to my bow to help me help businesses across Lancashire, and why not, it's what I have done for the past decade or so.

New projects too are coming along nicely. My work with Abbey Telecom and Excellent UK Enterprises is bearing fruit and will hopefully lead to new and different challenges. The latter of the two is gaining momentum and shall be unleashed soon, so take note.

You may think I am playing my cards rather close to my chest when it comes to Excellent UK Enterprises and there is a very good reason for that. It's a project which is building momentum by the day and will change hundreds, if not thousands, of small businesses across Blackpool for the better.

I didn't like what happened to me, who would? But by cracking on with what I know I am good at, making new contacts and keeping things fresh I know the future is that bit brighter than it was seven days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment