Tuesday 1 November 2011

Build a career boys!

So, as I sit here listening to one of the finest bands the UK has ever produced, Elbow's latest offering got me thinking.
Their emotional performance last week at Manchester Cathedral was beautiful to behold and, for those watching via the not-used-enough-for-live-music red button, it rumbled the jealousy inside me wishing I was in the audience. This happens occasionally, usually when I see headliners at Glastonbury, Reading etc....

Anyway, I digress from what I was about to talk about this week. Elbow's latest long-player (oh dear, I am older than my 34-years suggest) is entitled Build a Rockets Boys! and over the past few months I have been doing my best to build up my career once again after a decade of tripping the light fantastic of local journalism and bringing glossy mags to the masses (well, Lancashire anyway).


That is in the past now and new horizons are being sought. Tears have been shed and panic at losing the things most close to me (house, sanity etc...) has occurred at a time when I should be really enjoying my life.
New strings have been added to the bow and new contacts have been made while others have been re-ignited. You can see where the title of this blog now came from I hope.

Building a reputation is tough at the best of times and I am only pleased I left my last employment with a much greater respect than when I arrived. Confidence may have taken a bit of a battering but over the past few weeks that has come back and I am loving what I do best, writing.


Options have been limited on the job front and rejection letters received but in a way it has made me more determined to succeed and land the job I desire.

Which leads me to the work Excellent UK Enterprises have been doing over the past few weeks. Efforts are being made to make the lives of unemployed across Blackpool better with a chance to build their very own career. A website has been set up and a promotional video launched, now all the enterprise needs is a push in the right direction, which is where myself and those who read my blog come in. If the viral below interests you then get involved and help make a difference to the people in your community and bring some much-needed cash into the local economy.
I don't expect the problems caused by decades of boom and bust to be cleared up overnight but it would be nice to see if some of the efforts which are carried out locally can come to fruition and make a difference to where it matters to most people, in their hometown.


For more information on E UK E, watch the video above which will provide you with all the links you need to get involved.

I will be back with my ramblings again soon.

For now, take care and if you don't like my taste in music I won't take offence!

No comments:

Post a Comment