Wednesday 23 November 2011

Been a while, been busy!

Just noticed that it's been almost a month since my last blog and thought I had better change that.
So, what's been happening in the past month I hear you cry (those who are bothered to read my ramblings)
Well, it's a full-time job trying to find a full time job, that much I can tell you.
To use the well-known phrase "It's been a rollercoaster of emotions" would be probably best.
To say that I have not been the easiest person to live with over the past 11 weeks would be an understatement but that's what redundancy does for you I suppose.

And then, after wallowing in self-pity for a bit, watching a few repeats of Friends and endless Top Gears on Dave I thought it's only me who is going to change my fortunes. Thankfully, with business contacts from the past (and newly made acquaintances) in hand I have taken the chameleon approach and adapted to my surroundings. Pickings are slim out there, unless you live in London and then the world appears to be your oyster, and you have to grab what you can and keep hold of it.
You kind of lose sense of reality after a while and tend to forget what day it is too. After the missus has gone to work you are in your own little world, trying not to go slowly mad and attempting to keep up with what is happening in the world. A lot of economic hardship and uncertainty it seems. Funny how the planet doesn't seem to far away from your own doorstep does it?


Things have moved apace though and word is spreading (on Twitter, at least) that I am no longer with my last employers. The majority of well-wishers (God, I sound like I have died now!) were shocked at what had happened and to that I say a big thanks as it was, but I'm back (now I sound like an overweight Terminator!)

So what have I learnt over the past 11 weeks? Well, never say die would be the first thing. Just when you think all is lost - and by that I mean house, car, wife, mind - it's not. There are friends and family to fall back on, I know that for a fact because without them I would be in a much worse place than I am now.
Second, don't rely on daytime TV to get you a job. I'm sorry but it's true; far too many people think the phone is going to ring and there will be an angel dressed in a suit and carrying a laptop with a contact for new employment tucked safely in their inside pocket. If it worked like that then I would have been out of work a few days and now back in a cushy little, air-conditioned office. Get a grip and get out there and find a job. Without meaning to sound too much like an old politician, get on your bike and find a job!
Third, when you think all is lost re-discover your record collection....


With that much time on my hands I have discovered some cracking CDs I forgot I had and, being the organised person that I am (mostly), I have arranged them so as not to forget I have them. Some gems which have been re-discovered include Depeche Mode, Pearl Jam, Fleet Foxes, Beth Orton, Soundgarden etc...
Wonderful moments from my formative years were re-visited and halcyon days were remembered, although through a haze of cigarettes and lashings of teenage alcoholic beverages. Great stuff.
Fourth, forget what has happened in the past and focus on the future. Yeah, I was let down, promised the earth blah, blah, blah but it never came off. Worse things happen at sea and all that. That happened, dust yourself down and get on with it (after the next repeat of Friends, mind)




There's plenty to look forward to on the horizon, starting with Christmas!

Feel free to comment on this blog and others and thanks for reading my ramblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment